Thursday, February 16, 2012

Auditions

Awhile ago I noticed a page on facebook announcing that a local theater group was putting on a production of Beauty and the Beast in the fall and was having auditions the beginning of February.  Daren and I have been thinking that Natalee needed an outlet for her more dramatic side. :)  This seemed like the perfect opportunity.  The age limit for auditioning was 8 and up so Haylee decided she would like to tryout too.  Then we found out that they were desperate for adult men to try out so we talked Daren into joining in as well.

The first night of auditions was February 2, a Thursday night.  I was so proud of the girls.  Natalee learned to sing the song "Tomorrow" from Annie.  Haylee learned "A Spoonful of Sugar" from Mary Poppins.  We downloaded a karaoke track of each song for them to sing to.  They were both nervous to go in front of the judges but they did great!  I was so proud of them.  I was so happy that I got to go and watch them.  Unfortunately Daren was sick the first night of auditions so he didn't get to sing his song.  But I admit that I would have been very disappointed if I hadn't been able to go watch the girls audition.

The second night of auditions was dancing and readings.  They told me to have Daren come to that night and they would find a time for him to sing for them at the end.  Unfortunately Haylee had picked up Daren's cold by then and wasn't feeling too well.  She went to the beginning of the audition but called me about halfway through to ask me to pick her up.  She had been able to do the dancing but hadn't read for any parts.  Natalee read for the part of Chip and Daren read for the part of Maurice, Belle's father.  They were told that the 3rd night of auditions was 'call backs' and they would post a list on the News Review the next morning saying who needed to be there.  Daren and Natalee were both asked to return for call backs.  They both did some more reading and then were told that the final cast list would be posted on the News Review on Monday evening.

For our Family Home Evening activity we went to check the cast list and then went out for ice cream.  We were so happy to see that Natalee and Haylee both made it to the list of villagers/enchanted objects.  Natalee was also the understudy for Chip and Daren got the understudy part for Maurice.  Daren says he's not a villager but I think since he got an understudy part they are definitely planning on using him elsewhere in the meantime.

The play isn't until September or October so we'll be spending lots of time at rehearsals.  Well, Daren, Natalee, and Haylee will. :)  I am so looking forward to being a bit of a stage mom/wife and watching them perform.  I can't wait to blog about it all and post pictures.

No comments: