Friday, February 24, 2012

Chinese Chicken Nuggets

     I really wish I had a cute picture to go with this post.  Not only has my blogging suffered, but my camera is gathering dust as well.
     Our house closed escrow!  We told the kids awhile back that we would go out to a celebratory dinner when we got the money from the house.  The kids had been bugging us to go ever since they knew we had gotten the money.  Well, we finally had a free night and no dinner plans.  It seemed the perfect time.  We could hardly agree on a resaurant.  Natalee was in tears at the thought of not getting Chinese food.  Haylee and Mackenzie were in tears at the thought of having Chinese food.  Well, we finally decided Sizzler is a place we all like.  Well, Sizzler is closed.  There was a place called Ridgecrest Steaks and Salads in its place for awhile but I was pretty sure it was closed too.  The kids wanted to drive by and I told them I would, but if it was closed, we were going to the Golden Dragon-yes, a Chinese restaurant.
     Sure enough, the place was closed and off to the Golden Dragon we headed.  I expected some tears but, surprisingly, everyone seemed pretty excited.  Natalee didn't even need a menu to know that she wanted orange chicken.  I knew I wanted walnut chicken.  Haylee wanted something Daren makes sometimes called "Dragon Balls."  There was an appetizer that seemed similar so Haylee ordered that.  Mackenzie got the sweet and sour chicken, Daren got the Moo Goo Gai Pan (spelling?), and we decided to order Nate some lemon chicken.  Almost done, except, wait!  What do we order Kelsey?  Kelsey rarely even joins us at the dinner table because she is such a picky eater.  Her diet is pretty much entirely quesadillas, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and maybe a banana or fruit snacks.  She used to be the best eater I had but somehow became the pickiest by far!  The only reason she was sitting peacefully at the table with us is because her sweet little 4 year old mind thinks all restaurants serve chicken nuggets.
     We ordered some sweet and sour chicken for her as well.  I noticed her trying to tell the waiter every time he passed us, "Chicken nuggets, please!"  But he didn't notice her.  I turned to her and said we already ordered her food and we got her "Chinese" chicken nuggets with "Chinese" ketchup.  She gave me the happiest smile and the biggest hug.  Luckily, she absolutely loved her "chicken nuggets."  She even ate some rice!  Now she keeps asking for Chinese chicken nuggets every day at lunch.  I'll have to take her back for them again sometime!

2 comments:

Amy McFarlane said...

hahahaha! tricky tricky!

Ami said...

I will make them when you are here haha.