Monday, September 10, 2012

Nate Goes to the Salon

     Apparently the last haircut I gave Nathan didn't turn out so well (according to a slipped comment from my husband).  For one thing, the clippers really freak him out.  Even with a sucker in his mouth, he was still very wiggly.  For another, I had gotten rid of the high chair so I had nothing to strap him into.  This forced me to hold him down and try to keep him from moving with one hand while cutting with the other.  Not that he held his head perfectly still when he was strapped into the high chair.  But it was much less of a worry when I didn't have to stress about him falling off the bathroom counter.
     Nate was looking pretty shaggy and I really needed a trim as well.  So I made us both an appointment at The Fringe Salon.  I specifically chose that salon due to the child-friendly atmosphere.  I knew she had toys for kids to play with while moms got their hair cut.  Kelsey and Nate went immediately to the toys and were so enthralled that I figured I'd better go first.  As soon as I was done, I called Nathan over and we tried to get him into the chair.  He had to be bribed with a sucker, but as soon as he had it, he was struggling to get down.  I told her I figured he was going to have to sit on my lap.  So I held him as she put a cape over each of us and he started to fuss.  I'm not sure he knew what was coming but he was already pretty unhappy about it.
     His little tears started coming as she cut his hair with the scissors first.  But it was quite adorable as he called out to Kelsey over at the toys, "Kelsey, help me!"  "Help Kelsey!"  She looked over at him but she didn't come to his rescue.  Not that she doesn't love her little brother to death, but I think she knew it was really no big deal.  He did finally settle down when she got him a train tunnel toy with a button on it that made all different sounds.  Pushing the button seemed to keep his mind of the haircut.  Then a lady from the dog groomer next door came in with a tiny little chihuahua.  That really got his attention.  She even brought the dog over so he could pet it.  He wasn't even crying by the time she pulled out the clippers.  All in all, he ended up doing pretty well and he looks quite adorable with his new haircut.
     When he was done, Shawna (the hairstylist) pulled out some little toys for Nate and Kelsey to choose from.  Nathan grabbed a blue airplane and was so excited.  She pulled out a green airplane and asked if he would like green better.  So he took that one too and she said, "Okay, you can have them both."  He still doesn't quite understand choosing between two desirable things.  Kelsey picked a pink bracelet.  I thought it was nice of her to let Kelsey have something too even though she didn't get her hair cut.

Before:

He looks pretty shaggy in this picture but I'm not sure it actually shows just how shaggy his hair had gotten.

After:
Showing off their new toys.

1 comment:

karen said...

So very, very cute! Of course I would say that even with the shaggy hair :)