Monday, April 16, 2012

Little Miss Independence

     I may have mentioned once or twice that Kelsey is a really independent child.  She was so mad at me at lunch today.  She really wanted to make her own lunch and I preferred that she stay out of the kitchen and let me make her lunch for her.  She has suddenly been wanting to prepare her own food ever since watching me use the toaster a few times and deciding that it didn't look all that hard to use.  She has made herself toast a couple of times since then but that's about it.  She wouldn't tell me what she wanted for lunch and she was getting pretty upset that I wouldn't just let her do it herself.  I really wanted to take a nap but I was concerned about what she would do once I fell asleep.
     I was right to be worried.  I went into my room to lay down but decided to watch some TV on the laptop first.  I heard her come into the bedroom so I closed my eyes to make it look like I had fallen asleep in front of the computer.  I left just a slit open so I could see what she was doing.  She came in, looked at me, then went right back out.  Almost immediately I could hear sounds in the kitchen.  The fridge opening and closing, getting a glass plate out of the cupboard, the microwave opening and closing and then turning off and on.  Finally all was quiet and my curiosity got the best of me.  I called out to her and told her to come into my room.  In she came, carrying a half-eaten, very well-made quesadilla.  She did a pretty good job making her own lunch.  I was actually pretty surprised to find out that she knew how to use the microwave.
      When I got up from my nap, I noticed that the microwave had like 10 minutes left on it.  I guess she just punched in a bunch of numbers and then hit start and stop over and over again until the cheese was melted.  Not too bad for a recently turned 4 year old.

P.S.  Last night (after I wrote this post) I had a dream that Kelsey drove off in my car.  I think I'm feeling a little concerned about all this independence. :)

1 comment:

karen said...

A little scary, but what a smart and cute little girl!