Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bittersweet Rescue


Rosey's Mugshot

Yes, I have a little bit of an evil side. I wasn't incredibly disappointed when our cat Rosey disappeared last week. She's actually Natalee's cat. I did feel a little sorry for the way her life had ended since I was convinced she was eaten by a coyote. I also felt bad for the sadness I knew Natalee would feel when she realized that she hadn't seen Rosey for several days. But Rosey just isn't a very friendly cat. She will tolerate a little bit of petting. But after a few minutes will try to bite us to let us know she wants us to back off. She doesn't come when we call her, unless maybe she's hungry and she hears us shaking her food dish. If we try to hold her for more than a few minutes she starts scratching wildly. So you can see why I wasn't too choked up about her disappearance.
Last night, Daren and I decided that we would take the girls to the pound and pick out a couple of kittens. The pound is having a sale on cats right now and we really liked how the cats always kept the mice down (and hopefully kept the snakes away). So this afternoon we told the girls our plan. We were getting ready to go, and Natalee and I decided to look at the pound's website to see pictures of the kittens currently there. Suddenly, one of the pictures caught my attention. I clicked on it to make it bigger just to be sure, and sure enough, IT WAS ROSEY! Natalee was ecstatic. I couldn't believe she had somehow been put in the pound. The pound doesn't service our area so someone had to have brought her in. It turned out that she had been caught in some one's cat trap just one street over. Out here, that's not too close, and there is only desert between our house and that street. I had no idea she ever wandered that far into the desert. Well, needless to say, we went to pick up Rosey instead of picking out new kittens.
I think the pound workers were pretty happy to get rid of her. They didn't even keep her in the main cat room because she scratched everybody who got near her. She was in the 'sick room.' She was so ornery to us when we picked her up that they asked, "Are you sure that's your cat?" Unfortunately, yes, we have a cat who hates us! Well, we didn't dare take a kitten home. Natalee thought Rosey needed a friend. I thought Rosey might scratch her new little friend to shreds. And I think after this experience, Rosey hates us more than ever. She probably blames her whole horrible week on us.

1 comment:

Ami said...

haha Lisa that is hilarious! matt and I were just laughing out loud. Your blog is definitely interesting!