Thursday, May 20, 2010

Super Shelby and the Flying Goat

Lisa says I don't post enough, so I thought I would share last night's trauma (5/20/10). I went to bed at a normal hour and was looking forward to feeling rested in the morning. We only had one kida (Kelsey) in bed with us so it looked positive. Then Shelby starts barking wildly next to our door. She often does this so I decided to stick her in the garage to let the house muffle the sound. When I opened the door, one of the goats was making a blood curdling cry. I quickly threw on some shoes, grabbed a flashlight, and rushed outside to see what was up. Shelby ran ahead of me and took off to the side of the goat enclosure, toward the source of the sound.
When I shined the flashlight over, I saw Andromeda stuck in the fence. Stuck may be an understatement. She had attempted to jump from the top of the dogloo over the fence. The front of her body cleared the fence, but her rear left leg caught in one of the woven wire webs. Her leg was wrapped tightly in a tangle of wire, and she had flopped around wildly in pain. I don't know how long she had been there, but I quickly untangled her head and neck to get them free from the fence so that she did not srangle herself. Since she has the one horn, it was not easy. Then I moved on to look the rest of her body. Only her leg was still tangled.. She was stuck tight. I lifted her up (75lbs) and she stopped screaming in pain. I tried to untangle the wire, but did not have a hand for the flashlight while I held up the goat. I held her with my right hand and traced the wire on her leg. Then
I turned her body around and was able to free her leg. I placed her on the ground as Lisa walked out to see if I needed help. She helped me check for blood and there was not any. Andromeda did not stand on her own for a few minutes, but after we checked her leg for breaks and carried her back into the cage, she stood up. Luna scolded her and butted her a few time in the head, then Andromeda walked a bit and we went inside to go back to sleep.
The next morning, Andromeda was walking fine and battled to be first on the milk stand. She has a big bruise arround her leg but is healthy, thanks to Shelby assessing the situation and going to get help.

1 comment:

karen said...

how scary, yeah for Shelby! glad Andromeda is ok.