The girls started talking about April Fools pranks tonight at dinner, which reminded me of the April Fools prank we tried to pull this year. So I thought tonight would be a good night for a catch-up blog.
End of March 2010:
We were talking about April Fools coming up, and Daren got this idea that we should do something to our very good friends, the Cannons. We started tossing ideas around, and finally came up with a really good one. Brent was on travel so this was really going to just be on Ronelle. We decided that we were going to try to make Ronelle think that she had eaten goat meat. Now, how were we going to pull it off. I started by posting in my facebook status that "goats stink!" I believe my status was, "Goats stink! And by the way, if you play with them, you will smell like them." Something along those lines. Ronelle made a comment that night so I knew she'd taken the bait.
April 1, 2010:
April 1 happened to be on a Thursday, which is the day I teach the girls piano lessons. So I decided that I was going to make stew for dinner and have it simmering on the stove during lessons. When Ronelle picked up the kids, I would tell her I have a huge amount of stew and send some home with her for dinner. I thought about having her taste a bowl full at the house and maybe make some remark, but I just knew I couldn't do it with a straight face. Unfortunately, as Daren and I chatted after lessons while the kids ran around, somehow (DAREN!!!!) the conversation turned towards April Fools jokes. I was convinced that now she would never fall for it, but we still had to try.
I enlisted the help of our other good friend, Dawn Farrell. Dawn posted something about my stew on her facebook status. Something like, "A friend gave me some goat meat stew tonight. I was too scared to try it but Chris loved it." So then I commented, "You chicken! I gave some to Ronelle too but didn't tell her it was goat meat. I'll ask her tomorrow if she could tell the difference." The original plan was to make her think we had butchered one of our own goats and used the meat to make the stew. So Dawn commented back, "Oh my gosh, do you think she'll be upset that she ate Casper?" Well, that was the basic facebook conversation. (I looked for the exact one but apparently Dawn deleted it. She was getting a lot of posts from her friends that were horrified to hear about the people who butchered their pet goat and ate it.)
April 2, 2010:
I knew that Ronelle had been on facebook the night before because I saw that she commented on something someone else had posted. But she didn't make a single comment about Dawn's post. Later that evening, the Cannon's showed up at our house with a special gift- a tombstone that said RIP Casper. They also left us a lovely message on our car. Ronelle told us that she had read the post and believed it for about 2 seconds. Especially because Brent had commented at dinner that the meat seemed extra tender and they should ask what we do to get it so tender. She said she screamed but then read the next part and knew we were lying because she knew we would never butcher Casper. So we had taken it just a tad too far. But it was a lot of fun planning it and carrying it all out. The Cannons then offered to take our kids home with them so we could have a date night. We were very excited for a night to ourselves so off the kids went to spend the night with the Cannons.
Daren went out to feed the goats before we headed off to dinner. Unfortunately, that was when he noticed that Andromeda (one of our goats) was in labor. Dinner got put off for a few hours while Daren delivered a baby goat (but that's part two of the Year of the Goats and I'll have to finish that story another time.) We were so hungry after that baby was finally born, we took off in Daren's RAV4, completely forgetting the message that was on it: I fed my friend my goat. Yummy. OOPS!
Jane 23
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment