Thursday, June 17, 2010

Week 2: Basketball Camp!

Basketball camp girls

Natalee and Kelsey entertaining themselves during the camp.

     This week it was Haylee's and Mackenzie's turn for their camp.  They both chose basketball camp.  (Yay!)  The head coach was none other than Robert Campbell and his helpers were girls from the Burroughs Varsity team, I'm sure.
     Mackenzie has been excited that she is old enough to play basketball this winter and so she was eager to do the camp to work on her skillz. :)  Well, that was before camp started.  It turned out that an hour and a half was a little bit long for her.  She is also not very fond of competition because she really hates to lose.  So she just prefers to avoid any and all competition unless she is guaranteed to win.  The first dribble relay race didn't go so well.  It didn't help that Mackenzie was the last to go on her team, so when the team next to them finished first, she felt like she lost the race, not understanding the relay concept.  Then came the dribble wars.  Mackenzie just preferred to come sit by us and watch all the other kids.  In her defense, she was one of the youngest kids there.  The ages were 5-7 and when they divided up by age, there were only five 5 year olds.  So she was still struggling to to dribble and other kids were much more advanced.  By the end of the week, Mackenzie had wormed her way into the hearts of the Burroughs girls and she didn't need to come over to us during dribble relays and dribble wars.  I watched as Mackenzie's turn came for the relay and she had one girl on each side of her dribbling down and back with her.  They also stood and dribbled next to her during the dribble wars.  And after camp today (it was the last day), I was chatting with a friend and looked over to see Mackenzie between two of the Burros girls while a 3rd took their picture.  So I think they kind of adored her, and I can see why. :)
     Haylee absolutely LOVED basketball camp.  She enjoyed the dribbling, shooting, passing, games, and making lots of new friends.  Today during the scrimmage she made a basket and was so excited.  I can see that she has really improved after the end of the week.  They both got to keep their basketball and camp shirt and they have been practicing a lot at home.  A little too much practicing in the house since they can't seem to remember not to dribble inside! :)  It is really fun to see how much Haylee is loving basketball.
Coaching the 2nd generation of Moffitts, Robert was Jonathan's, I think Kevin's, and also Amy's coach.  He was never my team coach, but I was looking at my basketball book and saw that he was a coach at basketball camps I went to.

     Today, the last day of camp, was the first day that Daren and I were both able to go together.  So while I watched the girls do camp and played with Kelsey, Daren and Natalee rented a racquetball court for an hour.  Natalee and Daren have gotten to do some fun things lately.  Last Saturday night (June 12) they went to a play together so Natalee could pass off a cultural event for her Faith in God award.  They went and saw "Star-Spangled Girl," a Neil Simon play put on by some local people.  Daren said it was an entertaining story, but the best part was watching how much Natalee was enjoying it.  He said she was laughing so hard sometimes and everyone there could hear how much she was enjoying it.  There was a couple from our ward that also went and he said they told him afterward how much they enjoyed hearing Natalee's laughter.
Kelsey thought she should try out Natalee's gear while Natalee went to get a drink.  I hate to say it but she looks like a total nerd in this picture!  A very cute nerd though.

Kelsey and her doll made a great audience for Daren and Natalee.  She even helped the doll clap sometimes.

     And last of all from this week, I am 35 weeks pregnant now with our little boy.  I went to the doctor on Tuesday and I am already dilated about 2.5 cm.  I think I still have at least a couple of weeks to go.  But I admit to being anxious to see him.  Doctor Miller also did an ultrasound to measure him and said the estimate is 6 lbs. 13 oz. plus or minus a pound.  He took a very cute picture of his face.  I can't wait!

1 comment:

karen said...

Another fun week! The girls are so cute and it's fun to see a 2nd generation with Coach Campbell.