Sunday, December 5, 2010

New Car (or 'Van on Steroids' as some say)

     We had a bit of car trouble on our way to Colorado for Thanksgiving.  We felt very blessed to make it there safely after overheating on the I-70 just east of Salina.  We felt very blessed to have been helped by some very wonderful people as well.  The radiator cap had come off so we were out of fluid.  One of our good samaritans even drove to Salina to buy us some antifreeze.  We got back on the road and thought we had escaped without any major damage.  We made it the rest of the way to Colorado and even drove around a bit for the next few days.  It wasn't until Thanksgiving morning that we started having problems.  The check engine light came on and we could feel a difference in the driving.  We dropped it at the dealership and waited to hear from them the next day.  We thought we lucked out again and just had a burn coil that needed replacing.  But as we pulled out Saturday morning to head back to Ridgecrest, the engine light came on again.  We could smell antifreeze and we just knew we didn't want to risk driving 700 miles on that engine.  Especially with a car full of small children!
     So.....we drove to the Ford dealership and bought our monster van!  It's a 2010 E-350 that had 17,000 miles on it and still had a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.  I feel incredibly old driving it, but it is so roomy!  It's a 12 passenger so we now have plenty of room to drive friends around.  I admit that I cried about losing my Honda Odyssey.  I got really attached after 7 1/2 years.  And I still really miss some things about it.  But I'm learning to like the new van too.

     Pictures of us broken down on the side of the road. The car was steaming so much while Daren was pouring in water.




    One last picture of our Honda Odyssey.  This is when I started to feel teary.  I know, pathetic! 
      The girls absolutely LOVE all the space!
      Here she is!  We need to think of a name for this behemoth.  Something that says giant, white thing.  I'm leaning towards Moby Dick right now unless someone can think of something better.
      Kelsey fell out of the van the day after we got back from Colorado.  Now she won't get out by herself.  I think that's a good thing for now.

No comments: