"Who is Melissa?" you may ask. No, it is not the name we have chosen for our new baby, who has not yet arrived! (I can't believe I'm going to make it to 38 weeks after the last two came at 36 1/2!) Melissa is Kelsey's baby doll that she picked out with some gift money that my friend Cassie gave the kids a couple of months ago. She's a cute little doll that has teeth and came with a special toothbrush and toothpaste so Kelsey can brush her teeth.
Kelsey informed me Tuesday morning (the 13th) that it was her dolly's birthday that day. We didn't really have anything going on that day so I asked her if she would be willing to help me make Melissa's birthday cake. Kelsey was thrilled at that idea! I had recently bought some cake mixes that were on sale so she had a few choices and picked out a strawberry cake. Kelsey helped put the ingredients in the bowl and mix with the blender. Nathan also wanted a turn with the blender so we let him do it too.
After we picked Haylee and Mackenzie up from school, the birthday plans began to grow. They thought their little sister was being pretty cute. I had to put my foot down when they started talking about inviting real guests to this thing. But they compromised by gathering all of Melissa's "friends" (aka, their dolls, including Nathan's Diego doll) and bringing them into the family room for the celebration.
Next we went to pick Natalee up from school. (The other girls got out earlier because of minimum days this week.) We stopped by Wal-Mart on the way home to get some frosting and Natalee began to insist that we needed to get a present for Melissa. I wasn't really in the mood to buy something for this doll, but I did remember something that I had bought on clearance at the beginning of the year that was hiding in my closet. It was a matching nightgown set for a little girl and her doll. I had been planning on giving it to Kelsey for Christmas but decided we could give it to her and Melissa for a birthday gift that evening.
After getting home from Wal-Mart, I decided to lay down for a nap. While I was napping, Haylee helped Kelsey frost the cake and she and Natalee both took lots of pictures using the camera and my cell phone. It really was fun to see Kelsey so happy and we really didn't have to go to too much effort other than running to get the frosting. I admit I didn't even wrap the present. Natalee took care of it and she just used multiple plastic grocery sacks. But Kelsey had a great time and it was fun to see her sisters joining in to make it extra special for her.
Natalee did mention to me that I had never done something like this for her. She was appeased though when I told her she had never told me it was her doll's birthday before. I was a little worried about setting a precedent because I didn't want to be throwing birthday parties for dolls all the time. Sure enough, the next day Kelsey came up to me and told me that "Tomorrow is my other baby's birthday." I told her that we'll just have to use her fake cake for that because we can't be having cake and ice cream all the time. She just smiled and said, "Okay." Maybe she wasn't really expecting to get it again but figured it was worth a try. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment