My dad got into flying remote control airplanes awhile ago. For the longest time it seemed like we were the only ones who hadn't seen him fly his plane yet. We kept missing it and then my siblings would come to visit and go watch him fly but for some reason we would be busy and unable to come. Well, once we started going, we just couldn't stop. Nathan was in love with the airplanes! The park he flies at is right by the kids' elementary school. So when he's flying, we just drop off the kids and go straight to the park. If there's even a little bit of wind, they don't fly their planes. So for awhile the weather didn't permit them to fly. But almost every day, we drop off the kids and Nate asks if we can go watch the airplanes. Or sometimes if we can go watch Grandpa.
One day, a couple of months ago, we drove past the park after dropping the kids at school and saw my dad there with the guys. We drove over and asked if they were still flying. He said they had just finished but he would fly it one more time for the kids. He sent it up and before too long, CRASH! It hit a light pole! I felt so bad because he would have been done if we hadn't showed up. But he said it was a part of flying and he would repair it. He had crashed before. I'm not sure if it was that crash or one soon after, but my dad's plane was beyond repair and he ordered a new one. So lately when we've been going to the park, it's to visit with my parents and let Nathan watch the other guys fly their planes. He gets so excited that he just runs out to stand by them while they fly. The two other guys my dad usually flies with are Ike and Keith. They are both so nice to Nathan and seem to enjoy his company.
I finally had my camera with me one day. My dad still doesn't have his new plane ready to fly, but I have some pictures of Nathan enjoying the other planes. These were taken 10-30-12.
 |
| Nate brought a couple of soccer balls to play with until they started flying. |
 |
| He was excited to find a dandelion but it must not have been quite ready because he ended up pulling off all the seeds. |
 |
| Nathan and Keith |
 |
| Nate often points to the planes saying, "Whoa! or Cool! while he watches them." |
 |
| Keith's plane |
We went to watch them fly again Nov. 1, just a few days ago. Nathan always gets so sad when it's time to leave. I'll say, "Time to go Nathan." And he will say, "No, I want to watch airplanes!" Then he'll start crying when I take him to the car. It's so sad! I had buckled him into his carseat and my dad came over to talk for a few minutes. I'm not sure if Keith was just flying like normal or if he was trying to send his plane close enough for Nathan to catch one more glimpse of it. But the next thing we knew, it had face-planted onto my dad's hood right next to us. Luckily no damage was done to the car or the plane. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment