Two things that are very hard to teach children about Sacrament Meeting:
1. The Sacrament is not snack time.
2. If you must speak, use a whisper.
Nathan was being very cuddly at the beginning of Sacrament Meeting this morning and I thought it would be great if he just laid quietly on my lap with his head on my shoulder the entire time. I thought I might actually hear some of the talks today! No such luck. As the music for the Sacrament hymn began, he wanted to get down and wiggle and talk to his sisters. We quieted him for the prayer and then he got wiggly again. I whispered to him, "Shhh, it's time for the Sacrament." He looked around and saw the deacons with their trays and said (very loudly), "Oh, it's time for lunch!" I whispered back to him, "No, it's not lunch it's the Sacrament." Again in a very loud voice he replied, "Oh, the Sacrament? It's yummy!" I'm sure the people closest to us enjoyed his continued loudly voiced opinions about how delicious the bread and water were. I know he's not quite 2 1/2 yet so partly I just need to wait until he gets a little older to understand the sacredness of the Sacrament. But maybe a Family Home Evening lesson wouldn't hurt either. Besides, we all need a reminder once in a while to not treat the Sacrament like it's a mid-morning snack and to remember that it's a sacred ordinance during which we renew our covenants.
Jane 23
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment