Monday, August 9, 2010

Attack of the "Killer" Scorpion!


     This is the scorpion that stung me tonight.  It's a close-up so it actually looks bigger in this picture than it was.  It was a pretty small one.  Daren had just sprayed poison yesterday so I'm sure it was half dead.  The poison takes longer to work on the scorpions but it makes them really slow.  It was on our bedroom floor.  Daren put it on this book (can you name the book?) to take the picture for me so that you could actually see it.  I'm really regretting going with the beige carpet right now.  The original purpose of going with beige was to try to match the dirt so that the dirt wouldn't show up so easily on the carpet.  Apparently, other things that try to match the dirt also match our carpet.  I noticed that I was stepping on a slightly darker spot just before my foot went down but I didn't think enough about it to change where I was stepping with my bare foot.  I immediately felt the pain and thought maybe I had stepped on a goat head.  Then it made sense and I knew what I had stepped on before I even looked.  I completely freaked out and started screaming for Daren.  Kelsey was with me (part of the reason I was so freaked out was that she had just been walking in that same spot right before me) and so watching me freak out made her start crying.  I felt bad when I saw how scared she was so I made myself calm down and she immediately calmed down.  It helped that the pain started to go away pretty quickly.  But I am still completely disgusted that there was a scorpion on our bedroom floor (actually this was the second one this summer-we just didn't step on the first one) and I don't think I'll be walking around barefoot for awhile.  We also might have to move.  This is a definite drawback of living out on land!  And Ronelle had a snake in her yard last week.  (shudder!)

P.S.  Daren looked up online to see if I would need medical treatment and discovered that I would not.  I didn't think so since I was stung by a scorpion when I was like 5 years old and didn't go to the doctor back then.  But it was nice to have the reassurance.

1 comment:

karen said...

I hate scorpions! Try keeping a towel across the bottom of the door like we do on the front door. maybe that will help!