Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Girl Who Cried "Hand!"

     Tonight we had dinner at my mom and dad's house.  After dinner the adults and Nathan were hanging out in the family room and the other kids were in the back bedroom playing with toys.  Mackenzie came out and told me that she needed to go to the bathroom really badly but she was afraid of something in the bathroom.  I just assumed it was some microscopic bug (somehow Mackenzie can find any little moving dot and she is completely terrified when she does) so I went with her so I could take care of the problem.
     As we entered the bathroom I toyed with the idea of fake screaming and acting terrified just to scare her but I thought better of it.  I couldn't see a thing but she kept pulling me farther and farther into the bathroom until she was pointing into the toilet.  I thought maybe there was a dead bug floating in the water, but nope.  She asked me what was in the water and I finally realized that the water looked a little yellowish to her like there might be some urine in it and she didn't want to go on anybody else's potty so I flushed the toilet and said, "Problem solved!" and started to leave the room.
     Mackenzie stopped me.  She was still afraid that there might be something in that water and she didn't want me to leave.  So I told her that I would stay with her just in case a hand came up out of the toilet and tried to grab her by the rear and pull her whole body into the toilet and down the drain.  I told her that if I yelled "Hand!" she was to immediately jump off the toilet and she smiled and nodded her head that she would comply.
     This time I decided to be a little risky and I yelled "Hand!" a couple of times and then said just kidding after each time.  Luckily I was right that she didn't believe me and she didn't actually jump off the toilet while she was 'going.'  But she informed me (very seriously) that I should stop doing that because if a hand really was coming out of the toilet and I yelled "Hand!" then she wouldn't believe me and wouldn't get off in time.  Yes, they very recently read "The Boy Who Cried Wolf."  I assured her that I didn't want that to happen and I would only say it again if there really was a hand.

P.S.  Have I mentioned that she won't sleep in her bedroom at night anymore because she's afraid of the hole in her wall?  Yes, the hole that she put in the wall!  :)

P.P.S.  Tomorrow Haylee starts guitar lessons.  She is so excited!  (I'm pretty excited for her too!)  We are going straight after school so she has her guitar and her guitar book out already so that I won't forget them when I go to pick up the kids.  After her guitar lessons we are going to the optometrist to hopefully pick out some glasses.  Haylee has 20/40 vision so she won't wear them all the time.  But she could use them to see the board when she isn't sitting right up front.  She has mentioned that she would prefer not to sit in the same front row seat all year long.

P.P.S.  Natalee just (literally, 3 seconds ago) tapped me on the shoulder and showed me a tooth she pulled out.  It was her "silver" molar and she just showed me today that it was loose.  I reminded her about 15 minutes ago that the tooth fairy pays $2 for silver teeth and she must have really been working at it since then!