Friday, December 23, 2011

Magnetix

     Adding a little boy to our family has provided us with so many firsts.  Nathan is definitely wired differently than his sisters.  This year is the first year we really had to toddler-proof the tree.  We used to make sure no glass or breakable ornaments were down low when the girls were little.   Now we can't have ANY ornaments down low because Nathan was destroying them or just constantly yanking them off and I was getting really tired of putting them back on.
     Wednesday night we were introduced to another 'first.'  Nathan swallowed a metal ball from the magnetix toys.  We have always been pretty vigilant with the magnetix because we know how dangerous they can be.  We actually had them in the garage for a few months because the kids hadn't put them away and we found Nathan playing in them with some balls in his mouth.  We just pulled them out a few days ago and the kids were playing with them.  They didn't put them away so I called them to the bedroom and told them to clean them up.  Later that evening, Nathan apparently went into the room, OPENED the magnetix tool box case, and put a metal ball in his mouth.  Haylee said she tried to get it out of his mouth but before she knew it, he had swallowed it.
     I stayed up for quite awhile researching online to make sure we didn't need to take him to the ER.  There were lots of similar stories and it seems that we just need to keep an eye on him.  We need to make sure it comes out in his diaper and if not, take him in so they can do an x-ray and make sure it's not lodged somewhere.  We also have to watch for vomiting, drooling, not eating, or signs of blockage in his wind pipe like wheezing or other breathing trouble.  I slept in the spare bed in his room just to be close in case he started showing one of these symptoms.  I think Nathan is definitely going to give me more gray hairs than all four girls combined!
     Oh,speaking of gray hairs, today is my 36th birthday.  36 sounds so old for some reason.  Yikes!  Daren and I are so close to middle-aged.  It doesn't feel like it since we still have little ones.  But our big kids are sure getting big.  My mom and dad are going to watch the kids while Daren and I go on a date tonight and I'm so excited!  I've got Bernadino's taco salad on my mind.  And then we'll probably do something super exciting that old people do like go to Home Depot to look at flooring and light fixtures. :)  We actually both really want to do that without our kids!
     Nathan still hasn't had a poopy diaper yet today so I'm hoping for his birthday gift to me he will poop out a marble!

P.S.  Click here for a fun read I found during my online search.

No comments: