Sunday, October 21, 2012

Beauty and the Beast Opening Night!

Mommy-Daughter date, Oct. 12, 2012
     If you remember, I blogged some time ago about Daren, Natalee, and Haylee auditioning to be in the play, Beauty and the Beast.  After months and months of rehearsal, it was finally time to perform!  As wonderful as it was, I am so relieved it's done because the last couple of months have been the hardest.  They started practicing for 2-3 hours every night!  Luckily the kids only had to be there 1 night a week but it was hard to have Daren gone all the time.  But their hard work paid off and the show was amazing!  Daren, Natalee, and Haylee all played townspeople.  But Daren also played a spoon in "Be our Guest" and "Human Again."  He was also one of the guys in the tavern during the "Gaston" song.
     I was having a hard time deciding when to go to the play.  I finally decided to go twice, once with Kelsey and once with Mackenzie.  I picked up tickets for opening night and closing night.  Kelsey got to be my very first date.  It worked out perfectly because Mackenzie's glasses came just two days before the last show so she was able to see the play much better when she went.
     The play was a fundraiser for the music and arts programs in the schools, and another way they made some extra money was by selling light-up roses during intermission.  Anyone with a light-up rose was supposed to raise it up high to help the beast transform back into the prince.  I figured since it was a special date night, I could get Kelsey a flower.  She was so cute holding it up for the beast to change.
     We weren't allowed to take any pictures during the performance, but the cast came outside after the show to visit with the audience.  Since it was my first time going, I didn't realize they were going to do that and I tried to see if I could go backstage for pictures.  They told me to find the cast outside.  By the time we got there, Natalee had already headed back to the dressing room to get changed.  So, Kelsey only got pictures taken with Haylee and her dad.  She was also happy to get a picture with Belle.  At first she was shy but then Belle started talking to her and thanked her for helping the beast change back into a prince. :)

Haylee's good friend, Samantha Rodriguez, came to see the show.




     Mackenzie and Nathan hung out at my mom and dad's during the play.  My mom recently learned how to make Gak, so she made some for them to play with.  Apparently it entertained them for quite some time and they were still playing with it when I got there to pick them up.  Nathan was so proud of his snake and he held it up and said, "Look at my snake Mom."  Mackenzie made a heart out of hers.
This was him 'smiling' for a picture.  He wouldn't open his eyes so I had to catch him off guard with the next picture.


No comments: