Monday, July 5, 2010

5th of July Celebration

     We didn't get too hyped up for the 4th of July this year.  We've been so busy with the baby and the 4th was on a Sunday, so we didn't see any reason to buy fireworks.  But it turned out that we still had some sparklers left over from a couple of years ago.  There were some colored smoke things and snakes too.  The girls loved watching the colored smoke.  Unfortunately, the snakes wouldn't go off.  Just too old probably.  Then we lit the sparklers.  Of course Kelsey needed a lot of help since she didn't seem to realize that the tip was a fire.  The first time Daren tried to hand one to Haylee, a hot ash fell off and touched her hand for a second.  It didn't burn her and she shook it right off, but she was so afraid it was going to start burning that she still ran into the house to run her hand under water.  Then she was too nervous to take one again.  So that's the explanation of why Haylee's sparklers aren't lit in the picture I have of her.  She became Daren's helper and handed him the unlit sparklers so he could light them off of each other instead of lighting matches.
     For our FHE dessert, we had some Little Debbie's Swiss Cakes that my mom had bought for the girls.  Earlier today, I finally got out of the house by myself.  I decided to make a trip to Wal-Mart and my mom came with me.  On my way out the door, Mackenzie stopped me and asked me to get some food for her.  I asked her what kind of food she was talking about.  She thought for a second then said, "Something for a princess."  I asked her what she meant and she just said, "You know, something for a princess!"  I didn't want her to get too frustrated by my lack of understanding so I said I'd look and headed out the door.  I told my mom about her request and she decided to look for some princess fruit snacks for the girls.  Unfortunately they don't sell them at Wal-Mart so she got them the Swiss Cakes instead.  It worked out perfectly for our treat and I didn't have to do any baking.  So here are some pictures of our very small 5th of July party.
Those durn snakes just wouldn't light!  Luckily I was there to monitor things.  Daren was starting to take it as a challenge and was ready to pour lighter fluid on them.  Don't worry-I stopped him.

Look at that assistant pose-a future Barker's Beauty if you ask me.  Well, if there were still Barker's Beauties.  Are they called Carey's Beauties now?

Mmmmm....Chocolate.

No comments: