Thursday, July 29, 2010

Haircuts!

     School is starting next month and it was time to think of haircuts for the girls.  Usually we go to a place called Jack and Jill's Cuts for Kids.  The girls love it there because they get to play video games while their hair is done and after it's done, they spray it with glitter or put beads in it.  We were intending to go there, but then we heard about a friend whose daughter was looking for haircutting jobs to earn some extra money.  I was a little hesitant since she is still in beauty school and I had my own bad experience with a beauty school haircut before.  But I knew she might also be very talented and if she would do a good job, I was willing to help her out.  She's a single mom and needed some extra cash for her rent.
     Being the chicken I am, I waited until she did a few friend's haircuts first so I could check out her skills.  We went over right after the Cannons and I have to say that Katie and Grace's haircuts turned out very adorable.  So we decided to go ahead with the haircuts for the oldest three girls.  As a quick disclaimer, I just want to say that the girl who did their hair is a very sweet person.  So I feel kind of bad that this blog post comes off as pretty unkind to her.  But she isn't done with school yet and it appears that she struggles with very thick, straight hair.  So that's what she can focus on, but I sure won't be the one to tell her.  Anyway, here are some pictures of her work:

She did a pretty good job with Haylee's hair.  (I need to trim about 2 long hairs hanging down but that's it.)

And Mackenzie doesn't look so bad from the front.  And her left side turned out pretty good too.  However on the right side, as you can see, the front is much shorter than the back.

And Natalee...
     Natalee's hair, like Mackenzie's, isn't too bad from the front. And she did a very nice job with Natalee's bangs. But the sides and back...Oh My!! The funniest part is that the girls have no idea that they got bad haircuts. Natalee said to me, "My haircut is different from the other girls." I asked her what she meant. "I have layers," she told me. "Layers," I said. "So that's what it's called." "You didn't know what layers are?" she asked. I decided not to answer. I prefer that the girls keep believing they got great haircuts. Sometime soon, we'll come up with a reason to visit Jack and Jill's. Preferably before school starts. Unfortunately, that's less than 4 weeks away!

1 comment:

Ami said...

hahaha this definitely got me laughing out loud! I have had a bad experience with a beauty school haircut as well! Good for Natalee, always thinking positive thoughts!