Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy 10th Anniversary To Us!

     I'm having to catch up to tell about our anniversary since I didn't get it done before Nathan was born 3 days later.
     Daren and I celebrated our tenth anniversary on June 24, 2010.  We were so close to having 5 kids by the time we were married 10 years.  Oh well, close enough. :)  Due to the fact that I was 8 months pregnant, we couldn't do anything too big to celebrate our tenth, and we decided we'll have to put off a big romantic getaway for another year.  For Father's Day we gave Daren a fishing license, so we decided a day trip to Lake Isabella wouldn't be too far away in case I went into labor.  Fishing and swimming was the plan for some family fun.  After that, we would drop the kids off at my parent's house and have a night to ourselves to play some Band Hero.  Since we didn't get to do something big for our anniversary, we decided to buy ourselves the Band Hero game for our gift to each other.
     Unfortunately, the trip to Lake Isabella wasn't quite what we'd hoped.  It didn't seem windy at all until we finally got down to the lake.  But down by the shore, it was SO windy!  I was sort of miserable.  We brought a shade structure but it kept getting blown around.  I finally put some chairs around the legs to try to anchor it, but even the chairs fell over once.  One of the legs ended up getting bent, which was sad since it's a brand new shade structure.  And since the ground was sloped, it was sort of uncomfortable to be sitting in a folding chair 8 months pregnant.  The fishing wasn't very good for Daren since he was trying to cast into the wind.  But we held out for awhile since Daren and the girls were having so much fun fishing and swimming.  Even when we said it was time to go, the girls were really disappointed.  I'm glad they had so much fun.
     After we got back from the lake, we took a LONG nap.  When we got up, we fed the girls some macaroni and cheese, then took them to Grandma and Grandpa's house.  Then Daren and I got some takeout from Bernadino's.  They make the most amazing taco salads-I got the chicken and Daren got the steak.  We took our salads home to eat, and then played Band Hero for a few hours.  We are both getting pretty good on the easy setting.  It has been a fun toy for the whole family.  The girls really love playing it and I have to say, it is REALLY fun to watch them play.  Haylee especially can get into it when she's on guitar.  I think she might be trying to imitate her avatar.
     Being 8 months pregnant doesn't make for the most exciting anniversary, but I loved having some alone time with Daren.  It's been a wonderful ten years that has blessed us with 5 beautiful children.
Natalee was a huge help with Kelsey.  Kelsey kept wanting to play in the water but since I didn't have a swimsuit and Daren was fishing, Natalee ended up holding her in the water.

Daddy and his girls

2 comments:

Ami said...

wow congrats on 10 years! Can you believe I have known you guys for 7 of them?! You were practically newlyweds when we met. Next year you can drop the girls off and we will babysit so you can go to Hawaii or something! Oh man I need to get used to saying kids instead of girls!!!

Lisa H said...

Thanks Ami! :) We had a few slips the first few days too. Daren started to say Princess once and caught himself and just stopped at Prince. But I told him I didn't want him calling Nathan "Prince" either. We might take you up on the babysitting offer, but probably not next year. (I'll probably still be nursing.) But we'll come visit before that. I told the girls about your trip to Tucson and Emma feeding the giraffes at the zoo, and one of them reminded us that it is Matt's birthday wish that we come visit and we need to make that wish come true!