Monday, July 5, 2010

It's Been One Week

Nathan was smiling in his sleep last night and luckily I had the camera right next to me.  I missed the really big one but this one is still pretty cute.  I love baby smiles.

     Nathan was one week old yesterday, on the 4th of July.  It was a Sunday so we didn't participate in the usual 4th of July celebrations.  Nathan and I stayed home while Daren took all the girls to church.  Each of the girls brought a picture of herself holding her new baby brother to show to her class.  Grandma Poetschlag told me that Kelsey held on to her picture all through Sacrament Meeting.  Nathan and I spent the morning sound asleep!  It felt so good to catch up.  I didn't even need a nap later in the day.
     In the evening, my mom and dad and grandma came over for dinner.  We had meatloaf with baked potatoes and Daren made a patriotic jello cake for dessert.  After topping it with the cool whip, he put sliced strawberries and blueberries all over the top.  It was Yummy!  It was pretty low key for 4th of July but a nice Sabbath way to celebrate with family.
     After dinner, we got a call from the Byerly's that they were going to come pick up their keys.  Daren and the girls had taken care of their animals a couple of days for them.  The girls immediately ran outside to wait for them, figuring they would be there any second since they live so close.  They decided to ride their bikes over so it took a little longer than the girls thought.  But then the sprinklers came on so Mackenzie comes in a little wet.  She said Haylee made her get wet.  Before I knew it, Mackenzie and Haylee had both changed into swimsuits and were headed out the front door for the sprinklers.  I stopped them right away-no running through the sprinklers on the Sabbath-go take off your swimsuits and get real clothes on right now!  But Mackenzie couldn't just leave it alone.  In her cute little red, white, and blue swimsuit, she comes over, "But why Mommy?  Why can't we just go play in the water?"  So I told her, "Today is the Sabbath Day and we try to be reverent on Sundays."  Next FHE lesson topic: Reverence.  Mackenzie's very logical response was, "Well we won't talk..."  So I need to teach my kids that being reverent isn't just not talking, although they haven't exactly mastered that part of reverence yet during Sacrament Meeting.
     I think the first week that a baby is home is usually the hardest.  I might change my mind when Daren goes back to work.  But having him home during this time has been so wonderful.  I don't know why I never planned for a summer baby before!  It's been really great to have him here to take care of the kids so I could just focus on taking care of Nathan and myself.  My mom has been a huge help too.  She's been cooking for us, cleaning up and sitting with the kids during naptimes so that they'll keep quieter while we get some rest.
     I still can hardly believe that we have a little boy now.  But I'm so glad that we do!
Kelsey got a little tired during dinner since she wouldn't take a nap after church.

A few pictures taken during the first week:
One of his rare awake moments.  The girls get so excited when his eyes are open.

Haylee adores her baby brother

Sound asleep in the bassinet.  I couldn't decide which picture was cuter so I just had to put them both in even though they are almost exactly the same.

2 comments:

karen said...

I'm finally getting to see your blog after a week. Dad hooked up the wireless mouse to the laptop. It's the only mouse I like though. I'm glad you posted both pictures of Nathan smiling, they are so cute and he is such a great addition and blessing to your family! You're right, your family was not complete without him and it's so much fun to watch how the girls just adore him! I'm sure Daren is eagerly awaiting his first father and sons outing with Nathan.

Amy McFarlane said...

hahahaha mackenzie sure comes up with some good ones! he's adorable lisa and i think those two pictures are totally different! in one his hands are crossed and in the other they aren't hahaha.