Poor Mackenzie had her allergy testing today. She was such a brave girl. She was tested for 80 different allergens, none of them foods. They were all things in the air, like dog and cat dander, different plants, and such. She did have a few very small reactions, but nothing extreme. The allergist thinks it's unlikely that allergies are the cause of her hearing troubles but he gave us a nasal spray sample for her to try while we wait for her follow up appointment with Dr. Vadapalli. If there is any improvement in her ears after using the nasal spray, then maybe she still won't have to get the surgery to remove her adenoids. But if not, then the next step is most likely the surgery. Mackenzie is very nervous about having surgery. I just can't wait for her to be out of pain and hearing normally again.
After Mackenzie suffered through being poked in the back 80 different times, we had to wait 15-20 minutes for the girl to come back in and read the results of her test. She told me to make sure Mackenzie didn't scratch her back and not to scratch it for her because it could ruin the test results. I told Mackenzie that if she scratched they might have to start all over again. She was SO good about not scratching even though she told me that she itched. At one point while we were waiting I saw this white thing on her back just below her shoulder blades. I could see that it was far from the test area so I started to pick at it to get it off of her. Mackenzie panicked. "She said not to scratch it!" Poor thing thought I was going to make her have to get the testing done all over again. I assured her that I hadn't touched the testing spots but I stopped picking at the white thing so she would feel better. The worst thing was that after they finished the tests, they cleaned the whole area off with cotton swabs soaked in alcohol! That was almost as bad as the pokes! Poor kiddo. Of course I bought her a donut after we left.
Jane 23
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment