Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Infestation!!!

     When your kids go to school, at some point or another, they are going to be exposed to lice.  The spanish word for lice is piojos.  I know that because it was a very common issue for sister missionaries in Argentina!   Well usually, when a child in one of my kids' classes is 'diagnosed' with lice, a letter is sent home to tell the parents.  So I was surprised to find out that, apparently, there has been quite the epidemic of lice going around the school and even children in my kids' classes have been sent home for it.
     I learned about the infestation from my a couple of my good friends.  One of them decided to take no chances.  Her children were cleared by the school, but just to be on the safe side, she still washed the entire family's hair with the special shampoo, threw out all their pillows and bought new ones, sprayed down surfaces-including the car interior-with lice killer spray, and threw out all their brushes.
     Today at church, my daughter Natalee brought her brush.  Mackenzie then began to throw a fit because she said it was her brush, not Natalee's.  Natalee showed it to me and I informed Mackenzie that it was indeed Natalee's brush and she knows her brush is purple.  Natalee had brushed her hair beautifully before church today so I knew she didn't really need the brush.  It was also causing a fight.  So I told her to hand it over.  She answered with this:
"No Mom!  I need it!  I only brought it so [my friend] could use it because her mom threw away all their brushes!"
     I'm sure my friend would be thrilled to know that despite all of her best efforts, her daughter is borrowing brushes from my children.  I did check my kids as well, and I am an expert on finding lice.  They were clear.  But it looks like we need a little edu-ma-cation in this family on the topic!

2 comments:

The Tomlinsons said...

EEEWWWW!!!!! Lice has been one of my all-time fears! I've had to tell Leah not to put hair accessories in her hair that she finds or belong to her friends. Yuck!

karen said...

So logical. I guess there is a mom somewhere that needs to buy some new brushes. :)