Tomorrow is the last day of school and we like to give our teachers a thank-you gift at the end of the school year. Figuring out a thoughtful gift that isn't too pricey (we have three teachers to thank!) can be kind of difficult sometimes. My friend's sister was a teacher and she told me that she always gets a gazillion candles and lotions for gifts so not to do that. Well, what else is there?
Haylee's teacher this year was an old high school classmate of mine, Amy Auld. This year she got married and she just announced to the class that she is expecting a baby boy. That made her gift pretty easy. But as Daren and I were talking about what to give the other teachers for their gifts (looks like I'll be whipping up some pumpkin bread tonight) Haylee brought out her mini Book of Mormon and said she wanted to give it to her teacher. I reminded her that she had already given her gift-I had suggested she wait until the last day of school but she was so excited she had to bring it today- and also her best friend Grace is giving her a Book of Mormon with her testimony in it. She said she wanted to give her something from herself, not something store-bought. And besides, that way they'll have two so they can read the scriptures together. I couldn't argue with that logic so I told her that she had to write a note explaining why she was giving her the Book of Mormon. I said she had to say why she gave her the same thing as Grace and what the Book of Mormon means to her. I then asked her what she would put in her note. She said, "I'm giving you this book, so you can know about the past when there were lots of Mormon boys going around preaching the gospel."
I couldn't resist a little laugh. Luckily, Haylee started laughing too so we just laughed together. We then talked about how it would make Grace feel if she took Grace's idea and did the same thing. So she isn't going to do it after all. I'm proud of her for wanting to share the gospel with her teacher. Kids are the best missionaries.
Jane 23
5 months ago
1 comment:
That is so wonderful Haylee. You are a great example!!
Post a Comment