Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Important Notice!

     This weekend we found a huge wet spot on Mackenzie's carpet.  Her bedroom wall is shared with the kid's bathroom so we figured there was a leak in the toilet.  I was thinking the toilet backed right up to the wall but actually it turns out I was wrong about that.  At the time, though, it seemed like a really good idea to tell the kids that they couldn't use their toilet and they needed to use ours.  It seemed to be working.  The carpet wasn't getting any wetter and was seeming to dry up.  We figured we had solved the mystery and we called our home warranty service to have them come out and fix it.
     The plumber came out this morning.  As I took him into the kid's bathroom to show him what we thought was the problem, I found a sign on the toilet.  That explained how the kids remembered so well to use our toilet instead of theirs!  I was surprised that even Kelsey remembered every time.  I'm not sure who made this sign but if I had to guess, I would guess Haylee.  I'm sure you can't read the part in highlighter yellow.  It says:  Leaking in Mackenzie's Room!
     Well, it turned out it wasn't the toilet at all!  First of all, like I said, the toilet doesn't back up to that wall after all.  The washer and dryer in the garage are really close though.  We went into the garage and I started a load of laundry.  As soon as it started to drain, water started to spurt up.  The drain hose wasn't going in far enough.  That explained the water I found coming out from under the washing machine the other day too!  I was glad I wasn't going to have to buy a new washer as well.  It turns out that the reason Mackenzie's carpet was drying was because I had taken the weekend off from doing laundry, not because the kids had stopped using their toilet.
     It's a shame to pay the $60 copay for something so tiny, but I'm actually really glad that it wasn't anything bigger.  And it was almost worth the chuckle I got when I found the sign on the toilet.


P.S.  I was wrong.  Natalee made the sign. :)

No comments: