Some schools in our district participate in a program for the 5th graders each year called Camp Keep. The 5th graders spend a week at a science camp by the ocean and the camp counselors teach them all sorts of scientific facts about the animals and environment. I was really torn about Natalee participating in this program. For starters, I felt like 5th graders had no business going on a week long overnighter at their age. Secondly, I felt like there were some questionable children in Natalee's class who had, at times, given her problems throught the school year. I had volunteered to be a chaperone but there were more volunteers than chaperone slots and I was not chosen. At the time I was annoyed but when it came time for Camp Keep, it turned out to be a week before we moved and I was glad I wasn't going because I really didn't have time. Daren had chaperoned the year before for a special needs student and he was blown away by how wonderful the camp was. We decided to go ahead and let Natalee go anyway, even though I wasn't going to be a chaperone. She did end up having a wonderful time but we were sure glad to have her home! Her sisters missed her quite a lot. It just wasn't the same without her. They made her a welcome home sign to hold while she got off the bus. I was stressed the whole week having one of my little ones (even though she is getting quite grown) so far away from me. It was such a relief to have all my precious children safe and sound in our home that night.
Jane 23
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment