I saw this idea on pinterest for a Family Home Evening object lesson. You squeeze out an entire tube of toothpaste, then ask the kids if they can put the toothpaste back in. Of course they aren't able to. The idea is that when we say something unkind, it's out and you can't put it back in. It was Mackenzie's turn to give the lesson so I explained the idea to her and she loved it. Since it was her lesson, she got to be in charge of squeezing out all the toothpaste. When asked if they could put it back in, Natalee and Haylee immediately both said it would be impossible. But Kelsey said she would try. She started by shoving the empty tube around in the toothpaste, trying to get some to go back in. It wasn't working so Natalee said she would give it a try. She ended up sticking her hands in and managed to get a little back in, but obviously not a lot. Mackenzie decided to try as well, but I think she just wanted to stick her hands in the toothpaste. We had a really great discussion afterwards, and hopefully some of it rubbed off and will at least help them remember to be more careful about what they say to each other some of the time. I'm sure they'll need more reminders but hopefully the image of toothpaste all over their hands will help it last a little longer. Either way, it was a lot of fun!
Jane 23
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment